OAF x ADF

Forum sobre a ferramenta Oracle JDeveloper, ADF, OAF, etc. (Não é destinado ao aprendeziado da Linguagem Java em geral)
Responder
victorhugomuniz
Moderador
Moderador
Contato:
:D

http://prasanna-adf.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... o-oaf.html

Selecionar tudo

Following are the most frequently asked questions in the OAF forums by new OAF Developers

1. What is OAF?
   2. What are the prerequisites for learning OAF?
   3. I am a forms developer and I want to learn a web technology, should I go for OAF or ADF?
   4. Where to get the jdeveloper for OA Framework?
   5. How to learn OAF and where to find step by step tutorial?
   6. Can I practice OAF in home?

In this article I am going to explain what the developer should do if he is new to OA framework technology.

What is OAF?
OAF is web development framework based on MVC architecture for developing HTML pages and customizations in the Oracle Applications 11i/R12.

What are the prerequisites for learning OA framework?
You need the basic level knowledge in J2EE, good level of knowledge in Java and Oracle database (very important). Especially in java you should have good knowledge of inheritence, overriding, exception handling and collections etc.

I am a forms developer and I want to learn a web technology, should I go for OAF or ADF?
It depends on the purpose of learning the web technology. If you are an ebiz developer and want to do customization and extensions for the HTML based pages in the Oracle applications 11i/R12 then you should go for OA framework. This statment holds well till the release of fusion applications because ADF is well integrated with fusion apps. Also remember learning OAF is not going to be wasted, because ADF uses same bc4j in the name of ADF bc (of course, with good improvements over bc4j), so OAF developers can easily learn ADF in minimal duration.

If you're a forms developer, you're not working in Oracle Applications and you want to develop a new web application for your business, then you should go for ADF 11g. For more information about difference between OAF and ADF follow this link

Where to get the jdeveloper for OA Framework?
The jdeveloper available in the otn.oracle.com is meant for j2ee developers. So it cannot be used for OAF development. There are different set of jdeveloper versions available in the metalink corresponding to the OAF version of your Oracle Applications. First you need to identify the version of OA Framework available in the Oracle Application instance.

To know that

1. Open any OAF page
   2. Select the "About this Page" link located at the bottom of the page.
   3. Choose the technology components tab
   4. There you can find the versions of OAF and all technology components of the Oracle application.
   5. You can find the jdeveloper corresponding to the OAF version in the following metalink note How to find the correct version of JDeveloper to use with eBusiness Suite 11i or Release 12
   6. And you need a Metalink login to view the above link and to download the jdeveloper zip file.

How to learn OA framework and where to find step by step tutorial?
The best way to learn OA framework is to start with toolbox tutorials. If you have any doubts in the tutorial you can refer the Developers guide and Personalization Guide. If you want to refer the documentation for OAF java methods like setForwardURL() etc. you can see it in Java Doc available in the index.htm page.

To See the tutorial index

1. Go to jdevDoc folder in the path where you unziped your jdeveloper.zip file.
   2. Open the index.htm
   3. There you can find Oracle Application Framework Toolbox Tutorials link.

There are around 15 topics in this tutorial to illustrate the basic and advanced topics of the OA framework. It will take 5-10 days to complete all the lessons in this tutorial. These tutorial lessons include almost everything you might need in the OA framework development and customization.

How to practice it in Home?
Running a OAF page from the jdeveloper needs a Oracle Applications Instance up and running. So should have the whole Oracle Applications instance installed in your laptop/desktop or you should have network connection to Oracle Applications instance.

And if you get any doubts in the OA Framework you can get the experts help at the OAF forum http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=210&start=0
[/quote]

http://prasanna-adf.blogspot.com/2008/06/oaf-vs-adf-10g.html

[quote]
OA Framwork

OAF (Oracle Applications Framework) is used to create the web based Oracle Application extensions and it is the default web technology for 11i and R12 development. It is closely integrated with Oracle Apps hence it is meaningless outside apps context. OAF is a model-view-controller technology stack which comprised of OA framework View (regions and pages) and BC4j respectively as view and model layers.

OAF and Oracle Applications 11i/R12

* OAF includes AOL which provides e-business functionality like functions, menus, responsibility, functional security, data security, messages, profiles, flexfields, and concurrent programs.
    * List of Values – validation, auto complete, auto clear is available in OAF.
    * Transactional Search – Query Bean is available in OAF.
    * Data export, Configurable pages and Rich text editor is available in OAF.
    * OAF supports translatable table (TL tables).
    * Who columns like created by, modified by, creation date, modified date are supported in OAF.
    * Since OAF is tightly integrated with E-Business session management is done automatically.
    * Menu that appears at the top of the page is integrated with AOL menus. Hence the menus can be configured dynamically by manipulating AOL menus and no coding is required.
    * Functional security is available in OAF which allows you to configure the responsibility dynamically for the user.
    * User authentication is done from SSO. So no need to configure or write any code.
    * Data security is available.
    * Secured against cross site scripting attack.
    * OAF page access can be tracked.
    * Standards and guidelines are available for developing extensions in OAF which is the most important thing.
    * Reusable regions are available in OAF.
    * UI cannot be migrated to ADF 11g (may be in the future Oracle will come up with migration utility for UI but even then only declarative pages would be migrated and the UI pages should have followed the coding standards strictly).
    * BC4J can be migrated with minimal code change.
    * Controller cannot be migrated hence you have to rewrite all the logics in the controller if you want to migrate it to ADF 11g.

ADF 10g
ADF 10g (Application Development Framework) is the core technology for Fusion Applications and uses lot of open standards and technologies. ADF can also be used for common J2EE applications because ADF technology stack allows you choose between various options. ADF is primarily comprised of ADF Faces, ADF model and ADFbc (which is previously known as bc4j in OAF)

ADF 10g and Oracle Applications 11i/R12

* ADF 10g does not include any support for AOL
    * List of Values and its associated features like validation, auto complete and clear does not exists in ADF.
    * No Transactional search, Data Export, Configurable pages or Rich text editor.
    * No support of Translatable Table and who columns.
    * No support for E-business suite session management.
    * No support for integration with Oracle Workflow.
    * E-business security features are totally unavailable in ADF 10g. (security features include Data security, functionally security, SSO etc)
    * Page access cannot be tracked in ADF 10g.
    * No support of for menus in ADF.
    * Reusable regions cannot be created in ADF 10g.
    * ADF 10g can be easily migrated to ADF 11g.
    * And most of all you cannot extend or personalize the existing page with the help of ADF.

And the advantage of ADF 10g over OA framework is that your investments would be protected when you want to migrate to ADF 11g.

(ADF has many advantages starting from the underlying architecture, the level of support for Web Services and SOA development and going all the way to the actual development experience of UIs using visual editor and drag and drop binding. -- Shay)

Conclusion
Consider following points when choosing technology.

* If you want to build few pages with close integration of e-business suite then opt for OA framework. Remember if you want to migrate your code to ADF 11g in the future, you have to follow the coding standards strictly and code all the business logic in bc4j rather than handling the logic in controller.
    * If you don’t want a close integration e-business suite or your building entirely new application then go for ADF 10g.
Responder
  • Informação